Greville three-laning project finished in time for summer traffic flows
As Auckland’s urban sprawl continues north, urgent work was required to ease congestion for commuters at the bottleneck that has been the Upper Harbour Highway to Greville Road junction. In 2013 the Transport Agency awarded the Northbound three-laning project to main contractor HEB Construction. After two years the project is almost complete with CSP’s products – road safety barrier and lighting columns – used to add the finishing touches.
“We opened the new lane configuration in December last year - three months ahead of programme,” explains Glenn Nelson, Project Manager for HEB Construction. “The Transport Agency asked if we could aim for an early completion date so that the new lane configuration would be in operation to cope with the considerable volumes of holiday traffic in December. We were able to complete the progamme early to accommodate that request. As a result the Transport Agency then asked us to undertake the upgrade to the southbound bus lane system with the aim of improving bus travel times from Greville Road to Constellation drive.”
“We supplied barrier product and lighting columns as required for this project over quite a few months as various parts of the project were completed by HEB Construction,” explains Bruce Stephens, Sales Engineer Northern Region for CSP. “We supplied 1.2kms of Nu-Guard® 31 Guardrail, 80m of Thrie-Beam Guardrail, 6 x X-350 Terminal Ends, 7 x Trailing Ends and transitions plus 57 Oclyte™ Streetlight Columns.”
“We have worked with both HEB Construction, as a sub contractor, and CSP, as a supplier, many times,” explains Ben Lyon, Director for Lyon Electrical. “We installed 46 x 12m Ground Planted with 2m mitred outreaches and 11 x 12m Shear Base with 2m mitred outreaches. Everything was pretty straightforward and went without a hitch. CSP is very easy to deal with. It all went well from our end.”
|“CSP has a very good proprietary barrier product and as a result we used their barriers again for this project,” adds Glen. “It is robust and of a good quality. CSP is always easy to deal with and is a leader in the road safety barrier industry. We were also able to use them for the streetlight columns. We have no hesitation in using their products for the projects we are involved in.”|
- Enhancing traffic flow and reducing congestion by adding an additional northbound lane on the Northern Motorway between the Upper Harbour Highway and Greville Road interchange
- Making it easier to move from the motorway and the local roads by converting the Greville Rd/Tawa Dve/Albany Expressway roundabout into a fully signalised intersection, lengthening the free left-hand turn at the Upper Harbour Highway onramp and widening of the Greville Road southbound onramp from one to two lanes
- Better walking and cycling facilities for the area
- Widening the Albany Expressway from one to two lanes southbound
- New 3m shared walking and cycling path
This project forms the first stage of the Northern Corridor accelerated package of works which focuses on improving links to and from the Northern Motorway.